Sunday, September 14, 2014

Birthday Weekend

Annika turned 18 this weekend. That means I'm a parent of an adult(!) 

We moved her into her dorm three weeks ago and she has already built a whole new life for herself on campus. She's attending a small liberal arts college about 45 minutes away. Close enough for us to visit and take her out to a birthday lunch, but far enough away that she's isn't tempted to come home every weekend. She's made friends, kept busier than she ever has and has even navigated her way around the town surrounding the college. 
Homesick? Nope. Not Annika.
We were texting a few nights ago, she was at the library and she asked if I wanted to see something lovely:

Stack after stack of art and art history books. 
It has quickly become her favorite place and is where she spent part of her Friday evening. 
She's in art-nerd heaven. 

People have asked if I miss her. And, truthfully, I do a little. 
But I'm also so excited watching her live this new life she's found. It fits her. 
Isn't that the moment parents hope for: when our children discover they can survive without us.
I really am such a lucky mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment